All-Russian Constituent Assembly
Throughout the XIX century, the idea of the All-Russian Constituent Assembly, which was first included in the program documents of the Decembrists, was transformed with the socio-economic and political development of the country. In one form or another, it was featured in most of the works of the liberal intelligentsia, becoming a symbol of democracy. The notion has taken root in the consciousness of Russian society that the Constituent Assembly is capable of resolving all pressing state issues and overdue conflicts. The revolutionary events of 1917 provided an opportunity to implement this long-standing idea. On January 5 (18), 1918, the All-Russian Constituent Assembly was opened in the Tauride Palace in Petrograd.
The collection, marking the 100th anniversary of the convocation of the All-Russian Constituent Assembly, contains popular publications written in 1917 with the purpose of introducing to the country’s population the goals, tasks and specifics of the work of the assembly; materials of the meeting in the form of lists and certificates of delegates, a verbatim record of the only meeting, legislative drafts that were discussed by deputies; welcome telegrams of the public in connection with the opening of the meeting; documents describing the consequences and results of the meeting; as well as visual materials depicting the meeting on January 5 (18) and its participants.