On the eve of the birthday of Leningrad Region, which was formed on August 1, 1927, the Presidential Library’s portal features the collection "Leningrad Region: Pages of History", which includes unique archival documents, studies, essays, photo and video materials that reveal the geographical, social-economic, socio-political and other aspects of the development of this territory.
Why is this region so remarkable? First of all, of course, this is its rich history, including the history of ancient cathedrals and monasteries on the territory of modern Leningrad region.
The reason for such a rapid development of temple architecture is explained by Doctor of Historical Sciences, Professor of the Institute of the History of Material Culture of the Russian Academy of Sciences, researcher of Staraya Ladoga Anatoly Kirpichnikov in the Presidential Library’s film "Capital City": "At the beginning of the 12th century, a kind of record occurred in Ladoga - 5 or 6 stone churches. This was not the case anywhere in Russia. Obviously, this was a state plan - to create a large settlement in Ladoga, to build monasteries in stone. These northernmost ancient Russian churches were built instantly - literally in two or three decades... Ladoga. First half of the 12th century. Another powerful rise of Russia".
Of the churches that exist in Staraya Ladoga at the present time, the most ancient is the Church of St. George. The temple, decorated with frescoes from the 12th century, played an important role in the Orthodox world.
The long-term partnership between the Presidential Library and the Staraya Ladoga Historical, Architectural and Archaeological Museum-Reserve largely contributes to the disclosure of artifacts of Staraya Ladoga. In 2013, the museum received a collection of digitized color photographs by Sergei Prokudin-Gorsky with images of Staraya Ladoga from the early 20th century, and in 2014 an agreement on joint activities was signed.
The locals used the island as a pasture guarded by the spirits hiding under the stone. Therefore, they called the huge boulder the Stone-Horse. Monk Arseny sprinkled the surroundings with holy water and dissuaded people in the existence of spirits. In 1389, Arseny and his brethren built a church, cell, a fence and "so arranged the monastery", which is often called Konevetsky. But the flood of Lake Ladoga in 1421 forced the monastery to be moved to a higher place. A stone church was built here, where the main shrine of the monastery was located - the miraculous icon of the Most Holy Theotokos, brought by Arseny from Athos. When the Swedes “settled down” in Kexholm, they ravaged the monastery to build a fortress. However, after the end of the Northern War, the monastery was revived, "began to multiply and settle down"ю
In 1917, the monastery came under the jurisdiction of the Orthodox Church of Finland. During the Soviet-Finnish War and the Great Patriotic War, the monks were evacuated. During the Soviet period, its territory was occupied by the military. In 1991, the island of Konevets and the monastery buildings were transferred to the St. Petersburg diocese. Fifty years later, the monastery came back to life.
According to legend, the Tikhvin icon of the Mother of God Hodegetria was painted by the holy apostle and evangelist Luke during the life of the Mother of God. During the Great Patriotic War, the icon was taken to Riga, then to the USA. Only in 2004, when the monastery was restored, the shrine returned to Russia. It is currently kept in the Tikhvin Dormition Monastery of the Theotokos.
The Presidential Library and the Tikhvin Diocese have been successfully cooperating for many years. Among the implemented projects are video lectures, exhibitions, the opening of a children's multimedia studio “In the beginning was the Word”. A remote electronic reading room of the Presidential Library is available in the building of the Tikhvin Spiritual and Educational Center.
There is no doubt that all the new editions converted into electronic form will enter the collection of the Presidential Library "Leningrad Region: Pages of History". The key to this is the multifaceted cooperation that the library is developing with the 47th region.
The institution’s portal, thanks to virtual tours, provides the exhibition “North-West of Russia: Two Regions - One History. Marking the 90th anniversary of Leningrad Region and the 80th anniversary of Vologda Region", visit the museum "Kobona: The Road of Life"; Senate Square, 3 also provided the expositions “Komsomol volunteers. Kirishi is my destiny”, “Elections in Leningrad Region: from Past to Future!”.
As part of the agreement signed in 2014, 22 centers of remote access to the resources of the Presidential Library are already successfully opened in Leningrad Region.
The historic building of the Synod, where the library is housed today, provides events, significant for the 47th region. Thus, the digitalization of documents from the Leningrad Regional State Archives in Vyborg was discussed at the scientific and practical conference "Russian Archives and the Presidential Library: 10 Years of Cooperation"; an agreement on cooperation between the Presidential Library and Leningrad Region on vocational rehabilitation and promotion of employment of people with disabilities, their career guidance was signed at the St. Petersburg International Economic Forum in 2019; each academic year was preceded by meetings of the pedagogical council of Leningrad Region. Students of Leningrad Region take an active part in educational projects of the library, including multimedia lessons, video lectures "Knowledge of Russia", the Olympiad "Russia in the Electronic World" and others.