View of the old town [Izomaterial] = Vue sur l'ancienne ville = Blick auf die altstadt: species photo. - [beg. XX century.]. - Phototype; 12x18; 9.6 × 15.9. - (Kiiv - Souvenir de Kieff). - The image is horizontal. - View of one of the central districts of the city. On the right is the Vladimir Hill with the water tower of the Kiev water main and the buildings of St. Michael's Golden-Domed Monastery in the background. To the left is the Alexander Church, in the distance - the bell tower and the dome of the Cathedral of St. Sophia of Kiev
1. Territory of Russia (collection). 2. Nature - Kiev province - early. 20 cent. -- Photo. 3. Kiev - the beginning. 20 cent. - Species photo. 4. Kiev, city (Ukraine) - History - early. 20 cent. -- Photo. 5. Photos are documentary.
Vladimir Hill is one of the most ancient places in Kiev. In the old days it was called Mikhaylovskaya in honor of the St. Michael's Golden-Domed Monastery located here and only in the middle of the 19th century. was renamed. First, on this hill, a park was also broken, also called Mikhailovsky, and then, when a monument to Prince Vladimir the Great (Svyatoslavich) was erected in the park, the park and the hill were renamed. St. Michael's Golden-Domed Monastery is one of the oldest monasteries in Kiev. Includes newly built in the mid-1990s. the cathedral church in honor of the Archangel Michael and the bell tower in the style of the Ukrainian Baroque, as well as the refectory with the church of St. John the Evangelist (1713). Currently, the monastery is active. The Alexander church was built in 1842. It was named after the Russian Tsar Alexander I. The building of the church was decided in the forms of classicism, popular at that time. His main relic is the crucifix brought from Italy and a wonderfully executed copy of the "Madonna" by Raphael. Today the Alexander Church is not only the oldest church in Kiev, but also the main operating Catholic church in the city. St. Sophia Cathedral is a world-famous monument of history, architecture and monumental painting of the first half of the 11th century. It was built during the heyday of Kievan Rus during the reign of Yaroslav the Wise in honor of the victory over the Pechenegs in 1036. It was built as the main metropolitan temple of Rus. For a long time it remained a public and cultural and political center of Kievan Rus, but for a long history has undergone many destruction and rebuilding. At the end of the ХVІІ - the beginning of the ХVІІІ century. the cathedral acquired the features of Ukrainian baroque, the territory was fenced with a stone wall, a bell tower was erected. The cathedral was preserved.
Source of electronic copy: National Parliamentary Library of Ukraine Location of original material: National Parliamentary Library of Ukraine