The Mikhailovsky Monastery [Izomaterial] = Le couvent de St. Michel = Michaelskloster: species photography. - [beg. XX century.]. - Phototype; 12x18; 9.6 × 15.9. - (Kiiv - Souvenir de Kieff). - The image is horizontal. - View of the St. Michael's Golden-Domed Monastery with the bell tower and the cathedral from Mikhailovskaya Square
1. St. Michael's Golden-domed Monastery (Kiev, city, Ukraine) - History - early. 20 cent. -- Photo. 2. Territory of Russia (collection). 3. Kiev - the beginning. 20 cent. - Species photo. 4. Photos are documentary.
St. Michael's Golden-Domed Monastery is one of the oldest monasteries in Kiev. Includes newly built in the mid-1990s. the cathedral church in honor of the Archangel Michael and the bell tower in the style of the Ukrainian Baroque, as well as the refectory with the church of St. John the Evangelist (1713). It is assumed that the erected in 1108-1113 years. St. Michael's Cathedral, was the first church with a gilded top, from where in Russia this peculiar tradition began. It is famous for its frescoes and especially mosaic. The cathedral had a special significance for the people of Kiev, for it was dedicated to the Archangel Michael, the heavenly patron of Kiev. In the XII century. the monastery was the burial place of the princes. In the years 1934-1935. was dismantled and demolished the cathedral. The relics of St. Barbara, the main shrine of the monastery, were moved to the Vladimir Cathedral, the mosaics were removed to a new foundation and moved to the St. Sophia Cathedral, as well as to the museums of Leningrad (the Hermitage, the Russian Museum) and Moscow (the Tretyakov Gallery). The restoration of the cathedral and bell tower was completed in 1998, and the official opening took place in 1999. In 2008, the Ministry of Culture of the Russian Federation transferred the frescoes and mosaics kept in the Russian museums, which were exhibited in the cathedral. The St. Michael's Cathedral is one of the main temples of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Kyiv Patriarchate.
Source of electronic copy: National Parliamentary Library of Ukraine Location of original material: National Parliamentary Library of Ukraine