Tikhvin Assumption Monastery
Tikhvin Assumption Monastery is an Orthodox monastery founded on the bank of Tikhvinka River by order of Ivan the Terrible of February 10, 1560 by Archbishop Pimen of Novgorod (died in 1571). The first building of the monastery complex was the Cathedral of the Assumption constructed in 1507-1515 under Vasily III. It was intended for storing the miraculous icon of Our Lady of Tikhvin, which later became the main monastery's relics.
In the 1930s the temples of the monastery were closed and the icon was exhibited at the local history museum located in the territory of the monastery. In 1995 the monastery was given over to the Russian Orthodox Church, the Assumption Cathedral restored. In 2004 the icon returned to the monastery.
In 2015, the Tikhvin Assumption Monastery celebrated its 455th anniversary, while its first building, the Assumption Cathedral, turned 500.
The collection contains materials reflecting the history of Tikhvin Monastery, photos and postcards dating to the period of 1910-2015, which depict the monastery buildings, as well as drafts of the monastery of the 17th century.