The Imperial Archaeological Commission was founded on February 15, 1859 by Alexander II. It existed until 1919, when its functions were entrusted to the Russian Academy of the History of Material Culture. The commission became the first state archaeological institution in the country. The practices of the Commission formed the basis of the modern regulation of archaeological research and the system of protection of monuments in Russia. The collection, dedicated to the 160th anniversary of its foundation, includes publications of the commission, as well as archival documents on its establishment and development.
The collection includes 17th-20th-century editions of the first printed (typographic printing technique) code of laws of the Russian state – the Council Code of Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich (Sobornoye Ulozheniye), regional excerpts from the document and the researches into history and law dating from the 17th century.
The collection, which is dedicated to the renowned Russian chemist and thinker Dmitri Mendeleev, includes his works, correspondence; archival documents about his relatives, scientific, educational and public activities; 20th-century studies, which spotlight Dmitri Mendeleev’s scientific heritage, and visual materials.
The collection is timed to coincide with the 130th anniversary of the birth of Pitirim Sorokin - a prominent Russian sociologist and culturologist. He was born on February 4, 1889 into a family of a craftsman in a village in Vologda Governorate. He died on February 10, 1968 in Massachusetts, the USA. Pitirim Sorokin became the founder of integral sociology, made a significant contribution to the development of the theory of social mobility. He published more than 30 books.